Starting a new service can be both exciting and nerve-wracking at the same time. Our intake process has been created to ensure an effective service plan can be developed and team members can receive adequate training in order to best serve you. We hope you find this information helpful.
If you have enrolled in group services, please read about getting started with groups.
Complete an Intake Form
This is the first step in the intake process for services at Best Behaviour Inc. Upon receipt and review of the completed intake form, we will follow up with you to share an update regarding available services. At this time, we are also happy to schedule a time to meet over the phone to answer any questions you may have about our services or ABA therapy.
Schedule and Complete a Phone Meeting
When we are ready to process your intake, we will follow up with you to schedule a time to chat over the phone to discuss your family's needs in more detail, possible service options, and review next steps. If you decide that you would like to go ahead with services, some paperwork will be shared with you and so we can begin the registration process. This will include a registration form and medical alert form (if applicable). A comprehensive service estimate will also be provided.
Complete Required Paperwork
The required paperwork can be completed independently or with one of our team members. Once the required paperwork is completed, an intake meeting will be scheduled.
Schedule and Complete an Intake Meeting
During the intake meeting, the goal is to get to know each other and put together a customized service plan. It is a chance for us to meet the learner and identify next steps regarding assessments and program goals. A consent form will also be completed at this time.
After the intake meeting, we would begin scheduling appointments for any initial assessments that need to be completed. The results will be summarized and a service plan will be prepared. The learner's behaviour plan and/or behaviour protocol will be written up and shared in a meeting to review the assessment results and programs/goals (typically prior to starting sessions but it may also possible to work on it as sessions get started). Once we've received consent to go forward with the plan, sessions can begin.
Generally, your team's Senior Therapist will begin sessions and have the ABA Therapists slowly transition on after completing some joint observations/sessions. Of course, there are going to be individual variations to this process based on the needs of the team member and/or learner. For example, consultative services may not require a full behaviour plan to be written.
Following this process will ensure evidence best practices are being considered at all opportunities.
Tour of a Home Session
If you have registered for home-based sessions, here is some information that may be helpful for you to know:
- Every home team is going to have a slightly different structure/dynamic. Generally, you will find the learner’s program binders and materials stored together. There will also be a clipboard with all of the learner’s data sheets.
The only things you will be required to prepare in-home are …
- A space to work with the learner, with a child-sized table and chairs.
- A space to store the learner’s program binders and materials (ex. large bag, set of drawers, space in a closet etc.).
- Access to the learner’s toys and preferred activities.
- Access to snacks and/or edible reinforcement (if applicable).
- Access to the Wi-Fi password (for programs/observations that require internet on a team member’s personal device).
Tour of the Centre
If you have registered for centre-based sessions, here is some information that may be helpful for you to know:
- We are located at L3-30 Dupont Street East, Waterloo. L3 is on the lower level (down the stairs). There are 2 entrances (front and back). Visitor parking is available at the back of the building. Parking is also available on some city streets as per signage indicated.
- It is also important to note that we are a nut-free, scent-free workplace. Also, please remove your outdoor shoes upon entry. You are welcome to wear indoor shoes/slippers.
We have 3 clinic rooms, a bathroom and kitchenette, and one main multi-purpose room.